Help With Disability Benefits

Our Family Support Advisers can support you in obtaining disability benefits (e.g. DLA, Carer’s Allowance, Family Fund and other financial support), preparation and support with appeals and tribunals.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is the main benefit paid to children who have care needs over and above those of a child of the same age without a disability. It is a non means–tested benefit which means you can claim it regardless of your financial situation. DLA has two parts (care component – paid at one of three rates and mobility component paid at one of two rates, depending on your child’s needs) and either or both parts can be claimed.

If you are in doubt about whether to apply for DLA or not, please contact us for advice.

The new rates of DLA from April 2021 are:

Level Care Component Mobility Component
Higher £89.60 £62.55
Middle £60.00 N/A
Lower £23.70 £23.70

You can get a DLA claim pack, (specify whether for a child under 16 or over 16), from the Benefits Enquiry Line, Telephone: 0800 169 0310. They will date stamp the form and you will then have 6 weeks to return the completed forms.

The forms are lengthy but your Family Support Adviser can help you to complete them.

The benefits office will usually contact the child’s school so it is always advisable to have a word with the child’s class teacher as sometimes teachers are not always aware of the problems the children experience at home e.g. dressing, eating, getting up in the morning. Benefits can be lost if a teacher does not give enough information or gives a glowing report which relates to things other than care needs.

16+ Benefits

If your child is staying on at their special needs school, or doing a special needs course at college, they could be entitled to extra benefits if they are receiving Disability Living Allowance. Contact your Family Support Adviser for further information.

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is worth £67.60 per week (from April 2021) for parents whose children are receiving Middle or Higher rate Disability Living Allowance. We are often shocked to discover how many parents have missed out on this vital benefit.

A parent or carer is entitled to Carer’s Allowance if unable to work because they are caring for someone more than 35 hours per week or if they are bringing in less than £128 per week after tax from outside employment. If you are on Income Support it is also worth applying because you will still be entitled to a top–up on your weekly amount. If you need any more information regarding Carer’s Allowance please get in touch with a Family Support Adviser at our office.

Help from the Family Fund

The Family Fund exists to help families living in the UK and caring at home for a severely disabled or seriously ill child up to the age of 16. This may include children with Autism and ADHD.

They focus on the greatest need and may help families if they are in receipt of one of the following tax credits or benefits; Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit, Income based Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support, Incapacity Benefit, Employment Support Allowance, Housing Benefit, Pension Credit.

Some of the ways they can help with grants include clothing, bedding, driving lessons, holidays, outings, transport expenses, hospital visits and household appliances i.e. washing machines, fridge freezers etc.

To obtain an application form, Telephone 01904 621115 or download from or write to:

Family Fund
Unit 4 Alpha Court
Monks Cross Drive
YO32 9WN