Please be aware that a new partnership between local voluntary organisations Families InFocus (Essex), InterAct, ecdp and parent/carer forum FACE exists to provide Independent Supporters to work with parents of children (up to 25) with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities and directly with young people, as they go through the new assessment process for an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan).
The role of Independent Supporters is to:
- Focus on the main task of helping to transfer a statement into an EHCP
- Help the parent/carer or young person understand the local offer
- Act as a named contact for the parent/carer or young person throughout the assessment and planning process
- Liaise across a range of agencies with the parent/carer or young person to help gather the information required for an EHCP
- Provide information to parents/carers and young people on personal budgets
- Support the parent/carer or young person in contributing to an EHCP that is then ready to be signed off by a designated professional, agreed as part of a local referral protocol process
- Signpost parents/carers and young people, when the issue is outside the remit of an Independent Supporter, to organisations providing impartial information advice and support (IAS) services, e.g. Families InFocus (Essex) and Essex Parent Partnership Services.
Please get in touch with us if you require information and support.